Thursday, February 21, 2013

In-depth analysis of Cindy Sherman.


'Untitled Film Stills'


This project is called Untitled Film Stills photographed and model by Cindy Sherman. Cindy is known typically of photographing herself in a range of costumes. To create her photographs, she shoots alone in her studio playing multiple roles from director to make up and hair stylist and of course model. Cynthia Morris Sherman (Cindy Sherman) born on January 19 1954 is an American photographer and film director best known for her outstanding portraits. Cindy's photographs have been known to be some of the more expensive photographs ever sold. Her theme to her photographs relates to inner character and who she is trying to become. Her work represents the role of women in society and by dressing as other women in the 'costumes' she wears shows that different societies look upon women differently. Sometimes more well off areas have been influenced more so by the media then the appearance of women around them. I think this relates many life issues many people suffer from today, some people are really conscientious about their weight and appearance so much they go to extreme lengths to change that. I think that each photographs has been exaggerated in the way that she dresses and the make up and wigs used are also slightly to much. I find that the meaning to Cindy's work is not obvious to start with but when you see the series together it is a little clearer that she is  expressing the difference between women. I think the lack of movement in the pictures helps along with the lack of props and other additional things as the images might seem a little complex.

The series all seem to be mid shots where almost the whole body fits into the image. By making the shots a little wider you as the audience are able to see all aspects of the costume as women often take pride in their shoes. I think the use of a digital camera is more beneficial to Cindy as it allows her add digital adjustments after the image as sometimes it can be hard to take her own portraits at a great standard as she does work on her own.

I believe that all the photographs that are part of the series are planned as well as posed. I think this because they are photographs of portraits and they would have to be planned as Cindy does not work along side of people who might plan it for her. It is possible that some of Cindy's photos could have been edited using digital software after they were taken. I think that the use of filters and colourisation could have also been added.

Cindy's work does not personal effect me. I do think that some of the images are a little disturbing due to the make up and additional effects she has added to her costumes. However I do that to other people it may seem a little stereotypical and could cause some offence. I do like the work but I wouldn't personally say that it would have a huge impact on me but it might influence my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment