Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Typography Photoshop experiment.

To create this edited image below I started by taking a photograph that related to my chosen theme which was Landscapes. 
I found a trailer on You Tube that showed me step by step instructions on how to create a image that would end up looking similar to this.
With my photograph i imported it into Adobe Photoshop. Using the original image I did Select > Colour range > Shadows (drop down menu) > OK > cmd C > cmd V. This gave me a new layer with just the shadows from the image on it. I then did the same process Select > Colour range > Mid tones (drop down menu) > OK > cmd C > cmd V. This also gave me a new layer. I merged my two new layers so that both the mid tones and shadows were together. I deleted the original layer with just the photograph on.
I then wrote a paragraph or so of text into a word document about the image i took. In Photoshop i opened a new document, drew a text box onto the page and copy and pasted the text i had written onto the photoshop document. I then messed around with size and font style.
I then had to make the text a stamp so i could use it in the image more then once. I clicked Edit > Define brush preset. I then created a new layer and selected the brush tool and from the drop down menu I select the stamp i had just made. With this stamp i changed the size and colour and clicked in several places over the image so the text appeared randomly. You can change the size of the stamp as much as you like so there will be different marks on your image.
You then need to create a Layer Mask.  Select the text layer click the 3rd icon in the bottom right and hide the masked layer.
On layer one press cmd A > cmd C. Show the text layer again and click on the layer mask. Hold alt and click and then press cmd V.
High light the masked layer click cmd D > cmd I.
Create a new layer, drag the layer below the text layer and fill it with white from the paint bucket. This makes sure that the background if fully white.
From the drop down menu on the right you can select Gradient this allows you to add colour to your text. Select Gradient > Screen (from the drop down menu) > Blend mode > Pick a gradient > change scale > change angel. 
Finally select a soft brush tool. change the opacity to about 30pt and then brush over the text this makes some areas more detailed but you do not have to brush over the whole image.

I believe this went well and looks really effective I would like to use this in other factors of my work. I could improve it by maybe changing the colour of the image or maybe picking another image.


No comments:

Post a Comment