Thursday, April 4, 2013

Entrapment & Claustrophobia.

As part of this project I decided that I would look a the feeling of being trapped or even claustrophobic. I decided to add this research to my project as I decided that I wanted to show this within my work but I needed to gain a better understating first.

Claustrophobia is the fear of not being able to escape or being within a confined space. It is known as an anxiety disorder and can often lead to a panic attack. Sometimes even being in a with no windows or wearing tight necked clothing can cause these panic attacks.
Typically there are a few symptoms being the fear of restriction and a fear of suffocation. Being within a small room, a car, train, tunnel, elevators, crash washes or again even clothing can trigger the fear. In the world there is between 5% and 7% of the population that suffers from cases of claustrophobia.
Its not necessarily the fear of the space itself but more the fear of what could happen within the space. Claustrophobia often lead to the feeling of suffocation.
Many claustrophobics remove clothing during attacks, believing it will relieve the symptoms. However most claustrophobics do everything in their power to avoid these situations.
I have decided to take a series of photographs related to this fear of being claustrophobic and the fear of the un-known that could possibly lead to a panic attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment