Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Experimenting with space - String & Pins.

Using photographs I had previously taken related to space I pinned the printed out images and pinned them to foam board. I then stuck a series of pins in different points that were prominent within the photograph. I then using a brightly coloured thread looped the string around the image connecting it to different pins. This created an effect that drew away slightly from the photograph but allowed to see the different spaces I created on top of the original photograph based on space. 

The image above is my pinned photograph with one set of coloured string around the multiple pins. I think against the black and white picture that was printed onto tracing paper the bright red thread stands out really well.

I chose to use a black and white print as the coloured string shows up better compared to the coloured print underneath. I also think by choosing two coloured threads that clash it allows them to stand out a little bit more.


The lines of the tread that is pinned on top of the photograph sometimes match the lines of the string that are within the photograph. The geometric lines that connect the stairs and handrail are great as they are. I think the coloured thread on top can be a little to much. Therefore I prefer the first thread photographs.
By experimenting in this way it matched the exam theme of in-between. The feeling of being trapped between the string and the gaps that are left. I like that image matches the exam theme as well as being able to experiment further to add another dimension to the photograph.

1 comment:

  1. These look great - explain the meaning behind the string - how does it relate to the exam theme? What is it doing to the picture? e.g. feeling of entrapment (in between), stopping you from looking inside the picture from the outside?

    ReplyDelete